JSC Techsnabexport

Русская версия

 TENEX » Dear Readers » General » About the Company » Historical background
 

Historical background

1949
A special working group of ten people is set up within the All-Union Association Technoexport of the MFT USSR

1952
The working group is reformed into the Bureau of Technical Supplies

1963
The All-Union Export & Import Bureau Techsnabexport is set up within the MFT USSR

1975
The All-Union Export & Import Bureau Techsnabexport is reformed into the A/A Techsnabexport of the MFT USSR

1988
Transfer of the A/A Techsnabexport to Minsredmash of the USSR

1992
The A/A Techsnabexport is reformed into the Closed Joint Stock Company (CJSC Techsnabexport)

1994
The CJSC Techsnabexport is reformed into the Open Joint Stock Company (OJSC)

1996
The OJSC Techsnabexport is reformed into the Joint Stock Company Techsnabexport

2001
The Government consolidates 100% of the shares of JSC Techsnabexport

2007
JSC Techsnabexport joins the JSC Atomenergoprom system

2013
The 50th anniversary of JSC Techsnabexport

The Company’s history

JSC Techsnabexport dates its history back to 1949. The Company, which today is a leader in supplying Russia’s uranium products to the global nuclear market, has roots from a special group of ten people. It was set up within the All-Union Association Technoexport of the Ministry of Foreign Trade of the USSR (MFT USSR) to support supplies of equipment and materials for uranium-mining entities that were being set up by the USSR in Eastern European countries. In 1952, this group was expanded to a Bureau of Technical Supplies, which interacted with fast-developing miners in Eastern Europe.

As the list of supplied products and their volume grew along with increasing uranium imports, the decision was made to expand the Bureau to make it an independent foreign trade organisation with the respective status. On 17.07.1963, the Council of Ministers of the USSR issued resolution No. 1477-rs to set up the All-Union Export & Import Bureau Techsnabexport. In addition to supplying equipment to uranium miners in Eastern Europe and clearing payments for uranium imported into the USSR, the entity was tasked with carrying out export-import operations involving rare-earth, rare, and refractory metals, radioactive and stable isotopes, ionising radiation sources, instrumentation and controls, accelerators, and X-ray machines.

In 1975, the All-Union Export-Import Bureau Techsnabexport was reformed into the All-Union Association (A/A) Techsnabexport, the core business of which was overseas supplies of uranium products. In 1988, the entity was subordinated to the Ministry of Medium Machine Engineering of the USSR (Minsredmash of the USSR, now ROSATOM).

In 1994, the A/A Techsnabexport became the Joint Stock Company Techsnabexport, retaining successorship with regards to all earlier concluded contracts and agreements, as well as to the respective rights and obligations. In 2001, it became a company with 100% of the authorised capital being owned by the state.

In 2007, the state-owned 100% of shares from JSC Techsnabexport were put into the authorised capital of JSC Atomenergoprom, which was established with the aim of restructuring Russia’s nuclear power and industry complex, developing its science and production potential, and strengthening the competitive positions of the Russian Federation in the global market of NFC products and services.

Entering the global uranium market

The company has exported uranium enrichment services and enriched uranium products for Western-design reactors for more than 40 years. Over this time, it has built up the Russian footprint fourfold, increasing from less than 10% in 1975 to one-third in 2013.

The charts below show the chronology of the Company entering the global uranium market, which has been diligently expanded to illustrate two historic strata, i.e. the signing of the first contracts and the first deliveries.

Signing of first contracts

Start of EUP

Enriched Uranium Product
/SWU

Separative Work Unit
deliveries

1971 France 1973 France
1973 Italy, Germany 1975 Italy, Germany
1974 Sweden, Spain, Finland 1976 Finland
1975 UK, Belgium 1977 Belgium
1986 USA 1978 Spain
1988 The Republic of Korea 1979 Sweden
1993 China, South Africa 1980 UK
1996 Switzerland 1987 USA
1999 Japan 1989 The Republic of Korea
2003 Mexico 1990 USA & EU-15 (natural uranium deliveries)
2007 Ukraine 1994 China
2012 UAE 1995 South Africa
2000 Switzerland, Japan
2003 Mexico
2007 Ukraine
2009 USA (under the Amendment of 2008 to the Suspension Agreement

Agreement Suspending the Antidumping Investigation on uranium products from the Russian Federation
)

Building up new businesses

Over the past decade, the Company, along with its uranium exports, has carried out the consolidation of nuclear industrial assets by building up new businesses and reuniting productions vital for the sustainable development of NFC (see the chart herein below).

In 2008, the Company set up a holding company for the design and manufacture of gaseous centrifuge machines – the JSC Engineering Centre Russian Gas Centrifuge. During the same year, scattered enterprises were merged to form a science and technology complex, JSC NPK Khimpromengineering, to meet high-quality carbon fibre material demand. ROSATOM resolved to hand over these projects, along with uranium mining and isotope production assets that the Company had owned earlier, to other entities within the sector for further development.

Shaping the overseas sales network

JSC Techsnabexport has developed a network of overseas affiliated sales companies in the target regional markets to expand and raise the volume of supplied products and services, as well as to improve the quality and efficiency of client servicing. The first in the row was INTERNEXCO GmbH, which was established in Frankfurt (Germany) in 1989.

In 2003–2004, JSC Techsnabexport set up TENEX-Korea Co., Ltd (Seoul, the Republic of Korea) and TENEX-Japan Co. (Tokyo, Japan). In 2009, it founded TRADEWILL LIMITED (London, UK) to optimise contracting in the European market. Then, in 2010, the office TENAM Corporation (Washington D.C., USA) was opened to strengthen the Russian position in the US uranium market.



Previous page
Next page